Monday, July 2, 2012

The love I found in you


Who would have thought we'd feel this way, finding a million things to say, knowing our dream is coming true...so girl, come here and lay down by my side, give me the love that's in your eyes, It'll be good just holding on tight and share in the night, so stay....

Twenty seven years ago, I broke up with her. It was done in pretty bad taste, with no thought on how she would feel...considering that she was running a fever when I broke the news. Little did I know that she actually longed for me until the day we would finally meet again...

I have been in and out of relationships, treated badly, been there done that--I have given up on finding "my prince charming come true to life."  Friends would sometimes ask, what if the next person who comes along happens to be the right one? And I'd tell them, "What a loser, 'cos at this point in my life, I am not willing to invest ANYTHING on ANYONE ANYMORE."  That person will have to do everything and be like my beck and call person. Ruthless, that was how I thought of myself then.

Life has its ways...it's strange and sometimes surreal-- how it manages to bring people from opposite sides of the world to meet once again and just pick up from where they left off the last time...

I was transported back into 7th grade, when she and I were still together...it was like being sucked into a portal but with so much eagerness to be pulled right into that vortex-like thing....flashbacks of her dancing to Head Over Heels by the Go-go's, the letter with the lyrics to Ocean Deep by Cliff Richards and Stuck on You by Lionel Richie. I know, they all seem mushy and so outdated but they hold so dear to my heart. Our endless phone calls at night, we could hardly remember the stuff we talked about...but we did talk for hours on end...
Going home from school, I always dreamt of literally flying to her house...for I knew this street in Multinational Village that led straight to Moonwalk...I never forgot the sound of her voice or how she'd move her head to the beat of the music...and how she'd smile while trying to hide it...small, quirky things that I never really forgot--it probably settled somewhere deep inside of me...

Which reminds me of a song from The Sound of Music, "Something Good"....
Perhaps I had a wicked childhood, perhaps I had a miserable youth. But somewhere in my wicked, miserable past, there must have been a moment of truth. For here you are, standing there, loving me, whether or not you should. So somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good.

I am just so thankful that she's back in my life and we're together again. I have never known a person to be so full of love and kindness and all the good stuff there is. I know no one's perfect, but with all that she has been through and all that she is, she's close to perfection and she's for real. And that's all that matters. 



No comments: